Wednesday 23 November 2011

Waves of Wireless
I have internet in my house so I can finally start this blog I have been on about for ages. I am not too sure why I am writing a blog. I would like to think that I am trying to be intelligent but I guess the main reason is that the nights are drawing in and I don't have much to do of an evening.
Moving to Cheddar has been quite a journey. Starting over is quite tricky, especially when you don't know anyone. I am getting there - The volunteers  I work with have been brilliant; I went to my first dinner party the other night which was lovely! 
The things that I write in this blog I warn you may be all over the place. I write what I am thinking that second so we shall see how we get on.


Anyway, I suppose I had better talk about what I have been doing at work today - the blog is called 'Adventures of a Ranger' after-all.
We normally have loads of volunteers on a Wednesday but we were really short of guys today. George and Chris, our two full time volunteers along with Bob, our Wednesday volunteer were out with me on Walton Hill.
Walton Hill is part of the Polden Hills. Its a lovely spot with great views over to Cheddar Gorge, Glastonbury Tor and Crook Peak. 


One of the many jobs of a ranger is to improve access to the Countryside, allowing everyone to enjoy the great outdoors. With this in mind, we were installing steps through a small area of woodland. To date, there are 110 steps that have been put in over the past few years. I think there is now only 10 more to do then the steps will be complete! 


Tomorrow I will be going around with Rob to learn more about the Mendip and Polden Hills. I think we will be concentrating on the Cheddar Gorge and Crook Peak tomorrow. 
Warning: I may be a little brain washed tomorrow evening, I think there is a lot to learn.


Well, That's my first real post and I am about to publish it - I feel a little nervous!


Where better to eat your lunch than in a tractor wheel. 

1 comment:

  1. Least you have a tractor to eat your lunch in! Very jealous...Looking forward to more news from the deep South!

    ReplyDelete