Wednesday 7 December 2011

Tractor Time

Now, I have driven tractors before but never on proper roads, and today, I got the chance too. It was certainly different. I now completely understand how farmers feel now when they have to drive along A roads. I was quite nervous when I set off. It sounds stupid but I really hate holding people up so as you can guess, when in a tractor, its inevitable that you end up going a lot slower than everyone else on the roads.


We had our Wednesday volunteers out today so it was a really busy day. We were working in Cheddar Gorge today, cutting bramble and small samplings to improve the limestone grassland.


A great walk up through the Gorge
Half of the Gorge is owned by Longleat. They have been doing their annual Rock inspections the past few weeks which has meant that some of the rock has been removed from the sides of the Gorge - perfect for going into Drystone Walls :D Hence why I was driving around in the tractor today. The rocks that we claimed, then went up to the top of Crook Peak.
Over 15 years, volunteers have been renovating a drystone wall that climbs up towards the top of the peak. There is still a small stretch to complete so we hope to get up there in the new year. 






No comments:

Post a Comment